We are approaching the Christmas period, and even if this year we will be forced to make some sacrifices or change our habits a little, this does not mean that we will not be able to enjoy the holidays. This is what Google also thinks, which is planning to release some these days Announcements interesting for Google Maps, among which the further indications on COVID and the Google Assistant Driving Mode: are you ready to discover them all?
Even more information on COVID-19 for Google Maps
A feature has been available on Google Maps for a while to check the recent number of cases of COVID-19 in the various areas and regions, including in Italy. Google is gradually releasing two improvements in this regard: the first concerns the layer dedicated to COVID on the app for Android and iOS, which will show even more information, such as the total number of cases registered in a given area and quick links to resources made available. provision by local authorities.
Also, to help with the social distancing, Google Maps will provide live information on the crowding of public transport and bus, train and subway stations, also thanks to the reports of users from all over the world.
Tracking for take-away or home food on Google Maps
If you are a lover of cooking, but at the same time cooking does not like you, you could take advantage of them quite often home delivery or take-away services, and during the upcoming holidays you could do it even more. The Google Maps app for Android and iOS will soon be able to show when to pick up food, when it will arrive home, waiting times and expected delivery costs.
Unfortunately for now this novelty is only being distributed in Germany, the United States, Canada, Australia, Brazil and India.
Google Assistant’s Driving Mode is available in preview
There Driving Mode of Google Assistant it is officially in rollout, even if in “early preview” in the United States and only in English. Thanks to this novelty it will be possible to use the assistant to carry out some operations while maintaining concentration on the road: you can use your voice to start calls or messages, review the latest messages, have notifications read, answer or reject incoming calls, play music from services like YouTube Music and Spotify and more.
The Driving Mode will allow all this without leaving the navigation screen, helping not to get distracted while driving and at the same time without making us “lose” the road. To activate it, simply set a destination on Google Maps and press on the appropriate pop-up, while the settings will be available within the Google Assistant app.
Google Maps tips to stay informed
Google has also released some advice to make the most of Maps and to stay informed in this period, not all valid for our country (some functions are not available). There are 8 in all:
- check how much it is crowded a place: Google Maps provides a function to check the peak times of activities, more useful than ever with the need for distancing;
- find the latest information on COVID-19: the Maps layer, already available for some time, will soon be enriched with the new features described above;
- learn more about precautions of safety of an activity: whether it is a lunch or a shopping trip, the app allows you to learn more about the precautions taken, such as sanitation, safety dividers and temperature control at the entrance;
- share arrival times (AGE) with the closest contacts so as not to make them worry;
- use Live View to see where a position sent by contacts is, with arrows and directions;
- take advantage of Google Assistant and the new Driving Mode so as not to get distracted while driving (see above);
- keep “under control” the food arriving at home (see news in the paragraph above);
- take advantage of the features of Google Maps for to discover what is around us, from shops to gas stations.
Google Maps trends during the pandemic
Google finally analyzed Google Maps data from March to October 2020 to see how people have been through this period and how they plan to tackle the holidays. Through the infographics below we discover together the trends of Google Maps related to transportation, crowding, food and activities.