For subsequent yr’s holidays we now have a dream: to make a journey to Namibia.
So you possibly can think about our eyes in slightly coronary heart once we obtained the e-mail from Teresa di in nonniavventura.it who proposed us to jot down an article as a Wednesday particular visitor. Aside from that they received me over instantly as quickly as I opened their e-mail, as a result of I actually like the thought behind their weblog and the pictures make me dream.
However no extra chatter and let’s go collectively to search out out what to see throughout a visit to Namibia!
Journey to Namibia between deserts and ocean
For many who love Southern Africa, a visit to Namibia is the closest factor to paradise; there are such a lot of issues to see and uncover.
There are two of the most important and most well-known deserts of the world, one among which extends to the stormy Atlantic Ocean, attractive nationwide parks and wild nature all over the place.
The place is Namibia situated
It’s situated within the southern a part of the African continent, on the border with South Africa and Botswana. Its west coast of the nation is washed by the Atlantic Ocean.
Local weather in Namibia
Being within the Southern Hemisphere, this lovely nation has the seasons reversed in comparison with Italy. Its winter corresponds to our summer season and vice versa.
However thewinter in Namibia it is vitally completely different from ours.
Temperatures in Namibia
In actual fact, night time temperatures can drop all the way down to freezing, particularly in sure areas, whereas daytime temperatures rise as much as over 30 levels. In brief, a daunting thermal tour!
When to go to Namibia
Its climatic state of affairs signifies that Namibia will be visited virtually at all times. Understand that within the interval of December / January it is going to be very highly regarded; however it is usually true that the arid local weather will permit you to spot animals extra simply!
Prices of a visit to Namibia
Namibia has solely just lately opened its doorways to worldwide tourism. However in a really quick time it has change into a extremely popular vacation spot. Sadly, nevertheless, resort lodging and lodgings generally are nonetheless few; because of this the costs are fairly excessive. Furthermore it’s essential to ebook effectively upfront, even about ten months earlier than the journey. An excellent different are campsites, that are clearly inexpensive than lodges; or you may lease a tented jeep.
On this second speculation, you possibly can actually save quite a bit!
As for the remaining, the prices will not be excessive. The value of meals and gas is cheaper than in Italy. You’ll not must face motorway toll fees; admission to the parks is usually free, however the place you pay it’s fairly low-cost.
Can I go to Namibia alone?
Sure it may be achieved! We rented a big 4X4 with two spare wheels and set off on our journey! In Namibia, only some primary roads are paved.
For the remaining you’ll meet some filth roads. However don’t fret, they’re huge roads with a compact backside. If in case you have some driving expertise you should have no issues.
Essentially the most that may occur is to puncture a wheel and have to vary it. However it’s a distinctive expertise to drive by means of these infinite areas, encountering a automobile once in a while, typically we now have pushed for over 40 minutes with out seeing different vehicles!
Namibia: DIY or organized safaris?
You may make your individual recreation drives or depend on your lodge.
In case you resolve to go for the primary answer, get a map of the park; the potential for getting misplaced is nevertheless minimal as a result of the roads are effectively marked.
Most of those are filth roads which might be very straightforward to navigate.
Some small, however necessary suggestions: drive rigorously as a result of there’s a actual chance that animals will cross the street abruptly and emerge from the bush.
Transfer out of your lodge at daybreak, because the animals transfer at the moment and due to this fact it’s simpler to identify them.
Lastly, take a stand on the swimming pools of water and arm your self with plenty of persistence; the animals will ultimately come to drink.
And much more enjoyable is to guess the presence of one other automobile upfront from the cloud of mud it raises!
To go to some parks, you’ll have to take care of sand tracks; in case you do not really feel prepared, you possibly can at all times purchase the tour from the lodge or from some native company.
Journey to Namibia: helpful data
1) deliver the worldwide driving license, as a result of they could ask you!
2) do the filled with gas as typically as you possibly can; petrol stations will not be that frequent… and also you actually do not wish to run out of water in the course of the desert?
3) identical goes for thewater or different drinks! Deliver a cooler bag with you and at all times preserve it filled with bottles!
4) visitors police and checkpoints. Watch out as a result of it’s possible you’ll encounter “pretend” policemen who will ask you to pay a superb for varied break-ins. On this case, get the sheet and inform them you’ll pay on the first police station!
Or, as occurred to us, you may discover actual cops threatening to get you an enormous ticket; they are going to supply to show a blind eye to your break-in (even should you might not have achieved something) in alternate for a private bribe.
How one can get to Namibia
There are two prospects: you possibly can attain the capital Windhoek by airplane, or enter Namibia by land from South Africa or Botswana. This second possibility is for individuals who have plenty of time on their palms and intend to go to a couple of state.
However when you have little time, I counsel you dedicate all of it to Namibia; so ebook a flight to Windhoek and begin your tour from there.
Vaccinations and insurance coverage
There aren’t any obligatory vaccinations to go to Namibia.
As at all times we now have achieved thetetanus (you by no means know!). As for the malaria, we most popular to not do any prophylaxis; we simply introduced a robust repellent with us and took regular precautionary measures. We’ve got coated as a lot as attainable in crucial hours, however nothing extra.
In any case, simply in case, it’s good to seek the advice of your physician earlier than departure. As at all times, earlier than leaving for a visit, we now have taken out one insurance coverage which coated journey cancellation, misplaced baggage and medical bills (should you use our hyperlink you may get a 5% low cost!)
What to see in Namibia unmissable stops
And let’s get to the issues to go to completely when you arrive at your vacation spot!
1) Fish River Canyon, the second largest canyon on the earth. To achieve it from Windhoek you’ll cross roads with incredible landscapes, that are very paying homage to the west of the USA. And above all you’ll cross the Kalahari desert, the pink desert!
2) Luderitz, a city on the ocean. From right here you possibly can pay a go to to Kolmanskop, the ghost city, ea Diaz Level, a wild stretch of coast on the Atlantic Ocean.
3) The pink desert of Sossusvlei, with its gigantic dunes and the attractive Deadvlei. That is in all probability essentially the most liked factor by guests, in addition to essentially the most visited.
4) Town of Swakopmund, additionally on the ocean. Right here you possibly can base your self to go to the sumptuous Walvis Bay, with its salt flats and tons of of pink flamingos. Above all, the spectacle provided by the dunes is exceptional Namib Desert, whose dunes attain the shores of the ocean.
5) Cape Cross, the most important colony of Cape fur seals. There are tens of 1000’s of them, you may be fascinated by the present they provide, regardless of the not so nice odor of their excrement!
6) the nationwide park of Etosha. Should you love safaris you might be in the suitable place, right here there are a lot of animals, from lions, to elephants, to oryx (that are the image of this nation). Too dangerous you won’t be able to see the Massive 5, as a result of the buffalo shouldn’t be current within the park.
Seashores of Namibia
If in Namibia you might be in search of seashores the place you possibly can take stress-free baths, then you need to change vacation spot!
Right here, actually, you’ll find the dunes of the desert that be part of the waves of the ocean; or in some locations you’ll admire the cliffs on which varied species of birds nest.
However you aren’t within the Maldives! The water temperature is way from nice, however that is not all.
The Atlantic Ocean is at all times tough and bathing in its waters will be extraordinarily harmful. You’ll threat being thrown towards the rocks or in any case sucked in by the surf or eddies.
An instance of how harmful the seashores of Namibia are is that stretch of coast often called the “Skeleton coast”, ie the coast of skeletons.
On this space it is possible for you to to see many wrecks of fishing boats or ships which have sunk because of rocks hidden by the water.
The destiny of the survivors was actually unhappy: in the event that they survived the shipwreck, they later died of thirst or starvation within the desert!
Should you resolve to go to this space, you completely should ebook your lodging in time, as there are only a few lodges in it.
Furthermore, the sand monitor that crosses it’s actually troublesome to stroll. Which means in case you are not a extremely skilled driver, you higher be depend on a neighborhood company to arrange your tour.
Did you want this text? Reserve it on Pinterest