US President Donald Trump said on April 18 that he had received a “good letter” from North Korean leader Kim Jong-un. At the same time, the North Korean Foreign Ministry said that no letters had been sent to the American president recently.
The North Korean Foreign Ministry has refuted the words of US President Donald Trump that he received a “good letter” from the DPRK leader Kim Jong-un.
A statement by the DPRK foreign ministry was published on the website of the North Korean state news agency CTAC.
“Perhaps he referred to letters by which [лидера США и Северной Кореи] exchanged in the past, we are not sure. But recently, no letters were sent to the US president by the top leadership of the DPRK, “the ministry said.
About receiving a “good letter” from Kim Jong-un, Trump announced at a briefing on April 18, answering a question about the relationship between the United States and North Korea, writes the Associated Press. The American president, in particular, said that if he had not been elected, now the United States would be at war with the DPRK. But thanks to his policies, Trump is convinced that the United States and North Korea are “doing well.”
In 2017, shortly after Trump was elected president, relations between Washington and Pyongyang were seriously aggravated. So, in May 2018, Trump announced that the United States could destroy North Korea. However, a month later, on June 12, 2018, Trump and Kim Jong-un signed an agreement to provide North Korea with security guarantees in exchange for the full denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula. The second US-North Korean summit was held on February 27–28, 2019 in Vietnamese Hanoi. The US president said he would try to reach an agreement with the DPRK leader on denuclearization, and then “turn North Korea into an economic center,” but the parties did not reach an agreement.
On June 30, 2019, Trump and the leader of North Korea met in Panmunjom, a village in the demilitarized zone on the border of the DPRK and South Korea. The parties agreed to create a group of negotiators from the two countries who will be authorized to deal with issues of denuclearization.
Since July 2019, the DPRK has resumed rocket launches, which were also among the reasons for the pickets between the leaders of the countries. But, according to Trump, the latest launches of DPRK missiles do not violate the agreements reached between him and Kim Jong-un. Pentagon chief Mark Esper noted that the United States will not react sharply to missile launches and intends to “keep the door open” for negotiations with Pyongyang.