The software updates we are talking about today all come from China, to be precise all from Xiaomi and Huawei, and they also share another feature: they are all for top-of-the-range smartphones, whether they are of the present or past generation.
In particular, the models affected by today’s updates are: Xiaomi Mi 10, the Huawei Mate 40 series, Huawei Mate 30 Pro and the foldable Huawei Mate Xs 5G.
Xiaomi Mi 10: the news of the update
The one coming up Xiaomi Mi 10 is arguably the most significant of today’s updates.
If on the one hand the talk about the arrival of Android 11 had started months ago, already a week ago some users of Xiaomi Mi 10 had reported the roll out of the MIUI V188.8.131.52.RJBCNXM stable version based just on Android 11.
That update had been withdrawn shortly after by Xiaomi probably due to important bugs, but now the roll out has started again, hoping that it’s the right time.
The OTA package is a heavy one: well 3.6 GB. Alongside the latest Android version, it contains a number of dedicated features such as super document, VLOG camera and AI watermark. The security patches are those of October 2020.
Given the importance of the update, both in terms of weight and changes introduced, Xiaomi recommends backing up your data before proceeding with the installation. Furthermore, the installation and loading times could be a little longer than usual and malfunctions with third-party apps not yet well optimized cannot be excluded.
For more details, here is the changelog business suit:
- Newly added floating function panel, support quick collapse and expand. Rich viewing functions in portrait mode, best reading experience in landscape mode.
- Added one-click [Import PDF] function for documents / forms / PDFs
- Added document / form / PDF [Screencasting] function
- Added PPT / PDF [Thumbnail] function, faster to jump to pages
- Added rotating screen prompt switching function
- Optimized version APK size and runtime storage space
- Update Google security patch (October 2020) to improve system security
- MIUI stable version based on Android 11 deep customization is released
- Added VLOG mode. Added two templates “Story and Rhythm”
- Added VLOG mode to support the draft box function, you can save the current shooting progress to the draft box
- Added AI watermarks Add 3 location watermarks and latitude and longitude watermarks
- Optimized recording mode 8K video function entrance integrated into the top menu bar
- Optimize the VLOG mode and upgrade to the cloud download runtime and template resources. The new VLOG template will be pushed through the cloud in the future
- Optimize the watermark for new models
- After optimizing the user to adjust the zoom ratio of each function in the camera, within 30 seconds, turn on the camera again, switch back to the camera from the album, and turn on the camera on the lock screen, keep the zoom ratio unchanged
Huawei Mate 40 / Mate 40 Pro, Mate 30 Pro, Mate Xs 5G: the news of the updates
The updates coming to Huawei are much more numerous and they are all for the Mate series, albeit for models of different segments and generations.
Huawei Mate 40 and Mate 40 Pro
The latest top of the range Huawei Mate 40 and Huawei Mate 40 Pro, without forgetting Huawei Mate 40 Pro + and Mate 40 RS Porsche Design, arrived on the market with the EMUI 11 and now all are back to update with a series of tweaks and improvements.
The update weighs 787 MB and introduces the build EMUI 184.108.40.206 SP1. The changelog talks about system stability improvements, optimization of the audio part and the camera, with particular reference to some scenes, the anti-shake function, video recording and in general. In the case of Huawei Mate 40 Pro + and Mate 40 RS Porsche Design, there is also talk of more natural colors in the photos and optimization of the gesture with the knuckles.
Huawei Mate 30 Pro
Much less exciting is the update arriving globally on Huawei Mate 30 Pro: although we recently told you about the roll out of the EMUI 11, this update concerns the devices still at the EMUI 10.1.
The 246MB OTA file introduces software version 10.1.0.270 (C432E6R7P1), with the only novelty of the October 2020 security patches.
Huawei Mate Xs 5G
Also update for Huawei Mate Xs 5G concerns European users: the OTA file weighs 258 MB and also in this case contains the security patches of October 2020, due to the build EMUI 10.1.0.171. There are no other news to report.
How to update Xiaomi Mi 10, Huawei Mate 40 / Mate 40 Pro, Mate 30 Pro, Mate Xs 5G
Unfortunately, the prominent updates, namely Android 11 for Xiaomi Mi 10 and the one for the new flagships of the Huawei Mate 40 series, are for now limited to the Chinese market only. Instead, those for Huawei Mate 30 Pro and Huawei Mate Xs 5G are already in distribution also in our part and you can manually check their availability by following the path Settings> System Update> Check for Updates.